Who is a Functional Consultant?
A role of functional consultant involves in understanding the client’s business process, requirements and mapping to the Oracle EBS system as best as possible. If gaps are identified between the requirements and Oracle EBS system, the functional consultant with the help of Technical architect should suggest solutions.
Role of a Functional Consultant in a Implementation Project
- Requirement Study in detail
- Preparation of RD020 document (As-Is process document) and get sign-off from client
- Mapping the requirements to Application process
- Preparing BP080 Document (Mapping of As-Is process to To-Be Process) and get sign-off from client
- Business Process Re-Engineering (BPR) need to be done if required
- Identification of GAP
- Preparing MD050/60 for customization
- Conference Room Pilot (CRP) environment Setup
- Conduct Conference room pilot testing, unit testing, and integration testing. Test script preparation.
- Training Environment Setup (Optional, Same CRP instance may be used)
- Prepare Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) manuals
- Testing of Customizations (Forms, Interfaces and Reports)
- User Acceptance Testing (UAT) environment Setup
- Prepare TE040 document (Test Case Document)
- Assist users in UAT and resolve UAT issues
- Prepare BR110 document and get the access details requirement from the client
- Document management (version Control & Incremental setup)
- Production Instance Setup
- Assist Developers to upload the master data and open transactions
- Verify the uploaded masters and open transactions
- Post Live support
- Prepare BR100 document (Setup Document)
- Co-ordination with Technical Consultants / DBA’s, Developers and Oracle Support
Role of a Functional Consultant in a Support Project
- Handling tickets and application support to the end-users. When an issue is received, it needs to be analyzed and resolved
- In case, if the issue requires the support of development, then transfer the issue to development team with the inputs. Monitor and help development team to complete the task
- In case, if the issue requires support from Oracle, then raise SR and co-ordinate with oracle support team till closure
- In case, if the issue requires to run diagnostics requests, SQL’s or any other required to identify or resolve the issue, then run those required (data fix SQL’s when Required) and update SR’s and co-ordinate with oracle support team till closure
- In case, if the issue requires the support of Database Technical Consultants/DBA, then Describe and transfer the issue to Technical Consulting team with the inputs. Monitor and help Technical team to complete the task
- Preparing MD050/MD060 documents for any customizations
- Preparing Test Cases, Test Data & testing.
- Coordination with client managers/Key users and other teams for issue resolutions and getting sign-off for release to be moved to production
- Training the end users and preparing end user training material
- There will also be interaction with other modules consultants/Technical Consultants/DBAs/Developers
- Creation of process documents & its updating if required
Functional consultant should know the basic SQL and the important tables and how to run diagnostics and SQL’s. Data Loader is an easy to use tool, hence it is better to know it. Knowledge of discoverer is a plus.
What we shouldn’t expect from a Functional Consultant
- Applications Developer tasks / Forms and Reports, PL/SQL and Java stuff
- Performance Tuning
Feel free to comment if you know any additional roles and responsibilities of functional consultant, I will update them.
Also Read this article: What is the role of a Technical Consultant in Support and Implementation Project?